East Belfast and film
Cinemas included the Old Princess, Picturedrome and 'Pop'
East Belfast opened its first cinema, the Old Princess, in 1910. Situated off the Newtownards Road, it had previously been a funeral parlour and a skating rink, and survived as a cinema until 1927 despite competition only a few yards away from the New Princess.
Other east Belfast cinemas included the Picturedrome on Mountpottinger Road between 1911 and 1970, the famous Popular or ‘Pop’ at Bridge End between 1917 and 1962, and the Strand on the Hollywood Road, which opened in 1935 on the site of Strandtown House, the home of shipping magnate Gustav Heyn. The Strand is the only cinema designed by John McBride Neill still in operation.
East Belfast inhabitants who have made important contributions to cinema include the actor James Ellis and the cinematographer William McQuitty.