The Northern Ireland Music Industry Commission
The Northern Ireland Music Industry Commission (NIMIC) has been operating as the sectoral lead body for the music industry in Northern Ireland since 2001. The organisation’s key role is to maximise the creative and business development of the music sector and to promote and market Northern Ireland music nationally and internationally.
Northern Ireland has produced an extraordinary amount of internationally renowned musicians and musical artists over the years. Van Morrison’s reputation as a songwriter and performer is second to none, the songwriter Jimmy Kennedy remains one of the most successful writers of all time, The Undertones timeless classic ‘Teenage Kicks’ was recently re-highlighted as the late John Peel’s favourite recording, David Holmes produces and composes at the very highest levels of the Hollywood soundtrack world, Barry Douglas and James Galway continue to receive the highest accolades for their musicianship and now Snow Patrol have scaled the ramparts of the rock and pop charts.
NIMIC celebrates this wonderful heritage and works towards the development of those who will follow in their footsteps – the new crop of musicians and writers who will capture the world’s imagination.
NIMIC supports artists, bands, technicians and business people working in any musical genre at any level and its services include:
· marketing and promotion of the industry through the showcasing of bands locally, nationally and internationally
· assistance to bands wishing to set up local, national or even international tours
· the production of compilation CDs to promote NI music in a range of genres
· the provision of creative and entrepreneurial music industry workshops, seminars and masterclasses
· organisational and financial support for musicians and music events throughout Northern Ireland
· free consultancy for anyone from Northern Ireland involved in any area of the music business.
NIMIC has assisted artists and businesses in attending a wide range of music industry events such as MIDEM in France and South By South West (SXSW) in Austin, Texas. The organisation has also supported local music showcasing festivals such as Belfest, Digital T and Glasgowbury.
NIMIC also supports a range of educational initiatives on association with industry organisations including The Music Producer’s Guild, Association of Independent Music, British Phonographic Industry, British Music Rights, British Academy of Composers and Songwriters, Musicians’ Union, Music Publishers Association, Music Managers Forum, Performing Artists’ Media Rights Association, Mechanical Copyright Protection Society and the Performing Rights Society.