Sculptor who has completed many major commissions
Carolyn Mulholland was born in Lurgan, Co Armagh in 1944, and studied at the Belfast College of Art from 1962 to 1966, winning the
Since then, she has completed many major sculptural commissions, including the Mary Peters lifesize portrait commission (1970), three free-sanding figures for the Arts Council of Northern Ireland (1975), and pieces for the Church of the Resurrection, Cavehill, Belfast (1982), a work for the courtyard of Wilton Park House in Dublin for the New Ireland Assurance (1986), Dublin Sculpture Symposium (1988), Jefferson Smurfit Group, Dublin (1989), and Irish Life, Dublin (1992). Her works was exhibited by the Department of Foreign Affairs,
Mulholland’s sculptures are often Giacometti-like, stretched figures or tumbling acrobats in the act of performing, such as Stretch (1971). These abstracted works manipulate vertical, lateral and at times diagonal movement to achieve a feeling of tension.
Figures (1974-75) may be seen at the Antrim forum, and consist of a number of figures performing on parallel bars. These pieces, cast in fibreglass bronze, are part of a large scale group of balancing figures which she made for the Arts Council of Northern Ireland’s ‘Art in Context’ plan for public art.
In 1990, Carolyn Mulholland was made a member of the prestigious Aosdana, and in 2000 she exhibited with Basil Blackshaw at the Pepper Canister Gallery in
More recently, in 1998, she fired a lifesize bronze sculpture for the famine memorial graveyard in Clones, Co. Monaghan (1998), and a bronze panel entitled Man with Kite for the new Customs House in