Bank of Ireland, Royal Avenue
Built between 1928 and 1930, this is the first modern building in Ulster.
Built between 1928 and 1930, the Bank of Ireland was designed by JV Downes of Dublin architects' McDonnell and Dixon. This four storey, steel framed structure is clad in Portland stone and is situated at the junction of Royal Avenue and Upper North Street.
The building is distinguished by high strips of metal framed windows, interrupted only by ornamented metal panels. With its entrance marked by an art deco ‘clock tower’ on the corner itself, this ‘frankly modernist’ style, that disturbed some early writers, is echoed in the ‘jazz age’ design of Sinclair’s department store, diagonally opposite.