First Presbyterian Church, Rosemary Street
Rosemary Street has been a site of worship since the 1690s
Belfast’s Presbyterian congregation have been attending a place of worship on a site in ‘Rosemary Lane’ since the 1690s. In its original form, the building was apparently T-shaped, with seating for more than 700 people in three isles. Work on Roger Mulholland’s elliptical church was completed in 1783, and it remains one of the few remnants of this important period in Belfast’s social and political history.
The church’s classical portico was altered beyond recognition in 1833. However, the elliptical interior of the building has been sensitively handled with radial plasterwork on the oval ceiling and a curved gallery on wooden Corinthian columns, which rise above a boat-like arrangement of box pews.