MTV EMA Audition Tapes Revealed
Watch video of the unusual selection process at the Waterfront Hall
Anyone taking a walk past Belfast’s Waterfront Hall before 8pm on Sunday, October 30 might have wondered what all the screaming was about. They shouldn't have: MTV is coming to town, isn't it obvious?
More than 2000 screaming music fans were queuing to be cast as part of the 2011 MTV European Music Awards, which is set to take place on Sunday, November at Belfast’s Odyssey Arena.
In all, the network selected 1500 local music lovers during a day-long casting to find Belfast’s most enthusiastic, effervescent music fans to be part of the 2011 MTV EMAs.
Those cast will be given standing or seated access (one per person) for the MTV EMA ceremony and some will also have the opportunity to get up, close and personal with some of the biggest artists in the world as they walk the famous EMA red carpet.
Highlights from the 2011 MTV EMA casting included:
· Three members of the same family (grandmother, mother and daughter) who were successfully cast.
· A contestant (complete with sleeping bag, small pop-up tent and makeup) who camped overnight in order to be first in the queue – and was cast.
· A grandmother who drove her grand children from Dublin to Belfast to take part in the casting – granny and the grand children were all put through.
· A range of contestants in fancy-dress ranging from Batman & Robin, three monkeys, cheer-leaders, lots of Lady Gaga look-alikes and one very chilly contestant in a costume made entirely of post-it notes!
· MTV banners, home-made MTV t-shirts – and even an MTV cake for the judges!
Carol Brock, Senior Casting Manager, 2011 MTV EMA, said: 'The casting was the best in the history of the MTV EMAs! The energy and enthusiasm of all of the contestants was absolutely incredible.
'Everyone got into the spirit – and we were thrilled by Belfast’s support for the show. Whilst we would have loved to have cast everyone that came to take part, unfortunately we had a finite number of spaces, but we’d like to thank everyone that took part. We had a fantastic day.'