Ireland’s only double-decker bridge
The Craigavon Bridge straddles the River Foyle, linking the Spencer Road in the Waterside to the Carlisle Road in the cityside. The bridge, as we know it today, came into existence in 1933. The structure was controversially named after Lord Craigavon, Northern Ireland’s first Prime Minister and replaced the Carlisle Bridge. The wooden Carlisle Bridge was built in 1790 but was reconstructed into a double decked iron bridge in 1863.
The lower level was used for connecting the various railway networks which, by then, had set up terminuses on both sides of the river. The bridge facilitated the development of additional suburbs on the south side of the walled city as well as on the Waterside.