Austin’s Department Store
Ireland’s oldest department store
Austin’s Department Store in the Diamond, the central square of the walled city, is one of the best known landmarks in Derry.
It was constructed in 1906 following a disastrous fire on the site, which also destroyed the former Corporation Hall in the centre of the square.
It is a traditional, elegant department store and claims to be the oldest such institution in Ireland. The external appearance of the building is flamboyant, Edwardian ’wedding cake’ style. The main tower of the building with its great bronze cupola is visible from near and far, especially when lit up at Christmas.
Marvellous views over the city and the surrounding countryside can be had from the restaurant on the top floor of the building.