Private walled garden on the banks of the River Bush
In his book, Gardens of Ireland, Terence Reeves-Smyth describes Benvarden as having one of the few fully maintained walled gardens in Ireland, and undoubtedly the best walled garden in private hands.
Established in 1630, Benvarden is situated on the banks of the River Bush where it is crossed by the Coleraine-Ballycastle road. A 37m long Victorian iron bridge also spans the river.
Features include a rose garden, a box and lavender parterre, a well stocked kitchen garden with hot houses, vinery, potting shed, melon house, and espalier-trained apple trees leaning against the high, curved, brick walls. There is also a very attractive cobbled stable yard, entered by an arch surmounted by a cupola and containing coach houses, stables and cart houses. A former stable houses Benvarden’s tearoom.
A woodland pond is the setting for a wild garden containing rhododendrons, camellias, primulas, bluebells and many other wild flowers. A former cow byre has been converted into a small museum displaying old farm and garden implements and other items of interest.
© Benvarden 2004