List of Northern Ireland's Best Places Revealed
Having narrowed it down to ten finalists, the public are now invited to cast their vote and help crown the country's top spot
The Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) have announced the top ten Best Places in Northern Ireland as nominated by the public, who now have until October 20 to vote for their overall favourite.
Amongst the ten finalists are Belfast’s rejuvenated historic Cathedral Quarter, the Georgian town of Armagh and the Giant’s Causeway, which were selected by a judging panel after an initial submission period.
The competition was launched by the RTPI earlier this year to celebrate 'some of the most attractive and inspiring places and the role planners have played in protecting or shaping them for communities.' The winner is due to be announced in November.
View the unranked shortlist of nominees below.
- Antrim Historic Town Centre, Antrim and Newtownabbey
- Merville Garden Village, Antrim and Newtownabbey
- Armagh City Historic Town Centre and Cathedrals, Armagh, Banbridge, Craigavon
- Connswater Community Greenway, Belfast
- Cathedral Quarter, Belfast
- Giants Causeway, Causeway Coast and Glens
- Rathlin Island, Causeway Coast and Glens
- Walled City, Guildhall, Peace Bridge and Ebrington, Derry/Londonderry, Derry City and Strabane
- Lough Erne, Fermanagh and Omagh
- Newcastle and the Mourne, Newry, Mourne and Down
Beverly Clyde, Chair of RTPI Northern Ireland, said: 'The competition has reminded us of the passion we have for places we love. The finalists, places clearly loved by the public, have been protected, carefully planned or improved by the planning system. I encourage everyone to get behind their favourite place to ensure it wins.'
Similar successful competitions were held last year in Wales, England in 2015 and Scotland in 2014, with Aberaeron, Liverpool Waterfront and Dundee Waterfront having won respectively.
Voting launched today at the RTPI Northern Ireland Annual Conference in Belfast, and public can cast theirs one of three ways:
2. Email it to email@example.com