St Columbs Cathedral
The jewel in the crown of the plantation city
St Columb’s Cathedral lies off St Columb’s Court within the city’s walls. It is the Church of Ireland (Anglican) Cathedral of the diocese of Derry.
Built between 1628 and 1633, it seems to have been the first specially-built cathedral erected anywhere in these islands following the Protestant Reformation as, in most cases, the existing medieval cathedral buildings were inherited by the established, reformed church. The site chosen for St Columbs’ was the highest point inside the walled city, almost the highest point on the hill of Derry. The Cathedral, with its elegant tower and spire, can still be seen for miles around.